Thursday, October 20, 2005



Batman

Here is the movie that started it all; well at least before it more recently began in begins....what?

Batman hit the screens in 1989. With Mr. Mom dawning the cape and cowl for the first time since Adam West. Directed by the ever-bizarre Tim Burton, this was one of the only super hero movies (with the exception of Superman) that actually depicted how the character appeared in the comics. With storyline elements inspired by Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns", Burton's image of Batman was just that - The Dark Knight. I don't need to go into lots of detail here due to the recent release of the DVD, but this movie had a huge impact on later movies (obviously not subsequent Batman movies) like The Crow, Blade, and yes...Daredevil. Here's a dare: Don't make another Daredevil movie!

Batman was portrayed well in this film, despite the lack of character development. He was dark, brooding, and one bad-ass Mo Fo.


Burton was at the top of his game on this film. He was bizarre, but not over the top like he has been on other films like Batman Returns. Everything seemed to fit quite well....Especially the Joker.

Jack Nicholson as the Joker was a perfect match. He was disturbing and out of control - just as he should be. I am not much of a Nicholson fan , but in my opinion he BECAME the joker...and its a joy to watch.

This movie was truly the movie that sparked my major interest in movies. Sure I loved movies like Starwars and Indiana Jones, but this movie just seemed to burn a spot in my brain at the age of 16. It was the first time that I had watched a movie and caught myself thinking "man, what a cool shot" or "I love how the camera moved during that sequence".

So it only makes sense that this should be my first entry into this blog.

Batman is a classic superhero film which ranks at the top. I give it a 9.5/10.

Why not 10? Vikki Vale's scream (enough said)


No comments: